Wednesday, March 7, 2012

french lovin'.

I used to learn French in high school. Good times. Did the subject for about 3 years I think it was? Was never fluent or particularly good at much of it but it was fun at times. I remember this one children's book I tried to read which I borrowed from the teacher, Le Petit Nicolas...

 "Le Petit Nicolas (Little Nicholas) is a series of French children's books. It was created by René Goscinny and illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempé and it was published for the first time on March 29, 1959. Nicholas is an illustration of an ideal childhood and a nostalgic memory of the 1950s.The humour of the books derives from their unique story-telling style: the adventures of Little Nicolas are told in the first person by Nicolas himself. On the one hand, the books are a parody of the story-telling habits of little children; for example, the author makes frequent use of stylistic features such as run-on sentences and employs an egocentric, naive point of view. On the other hand, adults are the targets of the books' humour when the straightforward and uncomplicated worldview of the child narrator exposes the flaws of adult perception." Read more here.

It's pretty famous in France and they even made a movie on it! Anyways, I remember understanding a bit of it, which is always exciting reading a different language and actually understanding what you are reading! I particularly love the illustrations in the book, done by Jean-Jacques Sempé! 









So simplistic,  yet if I tried to draw this way, I know I would fail... Line drawings are amazing and I would love to improve my skills in drawing in this way, yet when I draw, I almost always feel the need to keep adding detail and shading! The ones in this book by Sempé are sooo cute and even though they are simple, you can get a real sense of the moods, attitudes, reactions and situations from them. LOVE! (: 


OH BY THE WAY, almost forgot to mention... I have in fact ordered my very own copy of Le Petit Nicolas (from here), and I am expecting to receive it in the mail any day now! Cannot wait! :D 


x.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every single comment so THANK YOU for leaving one! You are all so sweet and encouraging! :D x x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...